On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Los Angeles
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 1
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 10
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
For a robust and flavourful meal try Aldo Zilli's recipe for a classic Italian sausage dish served with polenta
Method1. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan. Add the sausages, onion, garlic, carrots, celery and leeks to the pan.
2. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes until the sausages are just golden brown.
3. Add the wine, stock, apple and bay leaf and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
5. Add the beans during the final 10 minutes of cooking. If the gravy needs to be thickened slightly, stir in the flour paste, stirring constantly and cook for a further one minute.
6. Meanwhile make the polenta. Put the boiling water in a large, deep pan and add in the salt.
7. Add in the polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk.
8. Simmer for 20 minutes until the polenta appears thick and separates from the side of the pan.
9. Beat in the butter and Parmesan cheese, season with plenty of freshly ground pepper and stir in the parsley.
10. To serve, divide the polenta between four large shallow bowls and spoon over the sausages, beans and vegetables with some of the gravy.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 Italian sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 450 g carrots, diced finely
- heart celery, diced
- 2 leeks, thinly chopped
- 200 ml white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 g tinned borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp plain flour, mixed to a paste with 1 tsp soft butter (if needed)
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
For the polenta:
- 1 litres boiling water
- 2 tsp salt
- 175 g polenta
- 50 g butter
- 100 g parmesan, freshly grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped