On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 2
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 6
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Picnics
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
For a robust and flavourful meal try Aldo Zilli's recipe for a classic Italian sausage dish served with polenta
Tips and suggestions
- Eat with...
- Bacon and butterbean stew
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 Italian sausages
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 450 g carrots, diced finely
- heart celery, diced
- 2 leeks, thinly chopped
- 200 ml white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 g tinned borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp plain flour, mixed to a paste with 1 tsp soft butter (if needed)
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
For the polenta:
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep pan. Add the sausages, onion, garlic, carrots, celery and leeks to the pan.
2. Stir well and cook for 10 minutes until the sausages are just golden brown.
3. Add the wine, stock, apple and bay leaf and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
5. Add the beans during the final 10 minutes of cooking. If the gravy needs to be thickened slightly, stir in the flour paste, stirring constantly and cook for a further one minute.
6. Meanwhile make the polenta. Put the boiling water in a large, deep pan and add in the salt.
7. Add in the polenta, stirring constantly with a whisk.
8. Simmer for 20 minutes until the polenta appears thick and separates from the side of the pan.
9. Beat in the butter and Parmesan cheese, season with plenty of freshly ground pepper and stir in the parsley.
10. To serve, divide the polenta between four large shallow bowls and spoon over the sausages, beans and vegetables with some of the gravy.