On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Making It Up Isn't Making Do
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Leftovers
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 50 min
Fresh rhubarb adds a distinctive flavour to lamb stew in Sophie Grigson's flavourful recipe for a classic Persian dish
Method1. Heat 25g of butter with the oil in a large, lidded, heavy-based frying pan. Add in the onion and fry, stirring now and then, until golden, around 5 minutes.
2. Raise the heat, add around half the meat and fry until browned, around 5 minutes.
3. Scoop out the browned meat with the onions then brown the remaining meat.
4. Return the first batch to the frying pan with the coriander, or transfer everything to a casserole dish.
5. Add just enough water to cover and simmer, covered, over a low heat for 1 hour. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Heat the remaining butter in a small frying pan. Add in the parsley and mint and fry, stirring constantly, for 5-10 minutes.
7. Add the fried herbs to the stew and continue simmering for a further 30 minutes, with the lid half off, stirring occasionally.
8. Shortly before serving, add the rhubarb.
9. Stir to mix and simmer for 2-4 minutes if it is forced rhubarb, 5-10 minutes if it is ordinary rhubarb.
10. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve immediately with rice.