On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 4
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Tarts
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 15 min
Buttery rich, smooth-as-silk hollandaise with a caviar topping add a little luxury to this delicious egg dish from Ed Baines
Method1. To make the hollandaise, place the wine vinegar, white wine, peppercorns, garlic, parsley and lemon into a saucepan. Bring to boil and reduce by half. Remove from heat and leave to cool. This is the infusion that forms the base flavour for the hollandaise.
2. Melt the butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, allowing it to separate so that the whey falls to the bottom. Remove from heat and ladle the clear butter (clarified butter) into a heatproof container.
3. Place the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of the cooled infusion in a clean heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water.
4. Whisk continuously, until the yolks start to become firm. Remove from heat and place on a flat surface.
5. Start to whip the yolks. At the same time add the clarified butter. Keep slowly pouring the butter in until it is blended and then continue to whisk, adding a further scant tablespoon of the infusion until fully blended. Add a pinch of salt and some cayenne pepper.
6. Halve the muffins and lightly toast on both sides. Cover the split muffins with the smoked salmon. Preheat a grill until hot.
7. Fill a large saucepan with water up to 10cm. Stir in the vinegar and good pinch of salt. Bring water to boil and then turn heat down as low as possible. Crack each egg into a small ramekin. Using a whisk create a whirlpool in the water then tip each egg gently in from the ramekin. Allow the eggs to cook for 1-1 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs as they are cooked.
8. Place an egg on top of each of the salmon topped muffin halves.
9. Spoon the hollandaise on top and place under the grill until the sauce is golden brown.
10. Serve with a teaspoon of caviar on top and a twist of black pepper.
For the hollandaise:
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 60 ml white wine
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic
- 2-3 stalks parsley
- juice of 1 lemons
- 175 g butter
- 4 egg yolks
- cayenne pepper