On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie at Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 2
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 10 mins macerating
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Serve up a stylishly contemporary dessert with Pamela Black's pear tart served with a piquant mango salsa
Method1. Place the pears and 100g of caster sugar in a saucepan. Add in just enough water to cover the pears.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer until the pears are tender, around 10 minutes. Drain the pears and cut into even slices.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
4. Slit the vanilla pod open lengthways and scrape out the content of the vanilla pod into a bowl. Mix with the remaining caster sugar and the lemon zest.
5. Roll out the puff pastry finely and sprinkle over the vanilla and lemon mixture. Then fold and re-roll the pastry into a rectangle and leave it to rest on a greased baking sheet.
6. Layer the poached pear slices evenly over the puff pastry, overlapping the pear slices slightly.
7. Bake the pear tart for 15-20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
8. Meanwhile to make the salsa, mix together the olive oil, mint and finely crushed chillies in a bowl and leave to macerate for 10 minutes.
9. Add the diced mango to the chilli mixture, mixing well.
10. To serve, pour some caramel sauce on a serving plate, place the tart on top with a quenelle of cream and spoon the salsa around. Garnish with a sprig of mint, a vanilla pod and icing sugar.
- 500 g Williams pears, peeled, cored and halved
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 100 g puff pastry
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 50 g mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2-3 dried chillies, freshly crushed
- 2 ripe mango, (ideally Peruvian), finely diced
- caramel sauce
- a quenelle of double cream
- a sprig of mint
- 1 vanilla pod
- icing sugar, for dusting