On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes, 4
- 21:00 - The Great British Bake Off - Tarts
- 22:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 40 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Home-made blackcurrant curd adds a delicious dimension to a tea-time classic in Lotte Duncan's tempting cake recipe Top 10 Victoria sponge recipes
Method1. First make the blackcurrant curd. Put the blackcurrants and apples in a pan with a drop of two of water, and cook slowly until softened.
2. Pass through a nylon sieve.
3. Measure the puree and assemble the unsalted butter, eggs and caster sugar, following the guidelines above.
4. Put the puree into a double saucepan or a bowl over a pan of simmering water. Add the butter and sugar and dissolve.
5. Beat the eggs lightly, strain into the mixture and stir until it thickens. Do not allow to get too hot or boil as it could curdle.
6. When thick, pot and store. Eat within 3 months and keep in the fridge once opened.
7. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
8. To make the Victoria sponge, cream the butter and caster sugar together in a mixing bowl until pale and fluffy.
9. Add in beaten egg a little at a time, beating well after each addition. If the mixture starts to curdle, sprinkle in a little of the flour.
10. Fold in half the flour, using a metal spoon, and then gently fold in the remaining flour.
11. Divide the cake mixture between 2 greased, base-lined 18cm sandwich cake tins and level them off.
12. Bake both cakes, ideally on the same shelf, for 20 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Avoid opening the oven until at least 15 minutes of cooking time has elapsed or the cakes will sink.
13. Turn the cakes out onto wire racks and allow to cool.
14. Spread the top of one of the sponge cakes with a generous layer of blackcurrant curd, then top with the whipped cream. Sandwich the remaining sponge on top, dust with icing sugar and serve.
- 100 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 100 g self-raising flour
- 5 tbsp lightly whipped cream
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the blackcurrant curd: