On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Feast
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 10 min
For a truly splendid dish try Lotte Duncan's richly flavourful pie, filled with slow-braised steak, mushrooms and smoked oysters
Method1. Season the flour with the salt and freshly ground pepper and toss the steak in it.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish and fry the steak in batches until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
3. Add the onion and fry gently for 10 minutes until soft and then add the carrots and mushrooms. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add the stock, red wine, anchovy essence, mushroom ketchup and cook gently for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring now and then. Add in the smoked oysters.
5. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
6. Turn the beef mixture into a 1.4 litre pie dish.
7. Roll out the pastry then trim to an oval about 5cm larger than the pie dish. Cut off a 2.5cm strip from all round the oval and press onto the rim of the pie dish.
8. Position the pastry oval on top to make lid and press the edges together to seal, then, using a sharp knife, knock up the edges.
9. Make a slit in the middle to let steam escape. Decorate with leaves cut from the trimmings. Brush all over with the egg yolk to give a rich colour.
10. Stand the pie on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the pastry is risen and golden brown.
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 900 g braising or stewing steak braising steak, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into batons
- 225 g button mushrooms
- 275 ml beef stock
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 tsp anchovy essence
- 1 tbsp mushroom ketchup
- 100 g canned smoked oysters
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk