On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 3
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 4
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Simple Suppers
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 24 hrs for curing
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Tender toothsome duck and a delightful fruity jus make perfect partners in this special dinner party dish from Paul Gayler
- 4 duck breast, each 180g
- 2 clove garlic, peeled
- 10 g coarse sea salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 10 small sage leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the leak and mustard mash:
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 leek, ashed and roughly chopped
- 200 g mashed potato, freshly prepared
- 90 ml double cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce:
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. To salt the duck, put it into a large bowl, rub all over with garlic, add the salt, bay leaf and sage. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Remove the duck from the fridge, wipe off any excess salt and remove the herbs.
3. Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan and fry the duck breasts, skin side down, until golden. Turn them over, transfer to the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes until pink. Keep warm.
4. For the mash, heat the butter in a frying pan and cook the leeks over a gentle heat until soft. Add the cream and bring to the boil. Add the hot mashed potato and mustard and season to taste. Keep warm.
5. For the sauce, heat the butter in a saucepan, add apples and cook for one minute, add the honey, cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Finally add the vinegar, cider, stock, raisins and sage, and reduce until lightly thickened.
7. Arrange the leek mash on plates, slice the duck and fan out over the top. Place the apples on the duck, pour over the sauce and serve immediately.