On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie at Home Christmas Special - Jamie At Home Christmas Special
- 21:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 1
- 21:30 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen, 2
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus 24 hrs for curing
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Tender toothsome duck and a delightful fruity jus make perfect partners in this special dinner party dish from Paul Gayler
Method1. To salt the duck, put it into a large bowl, rub all over with garlic, add the salt, bay leaf and sage. Cover with cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Remove the duck from the fridge, wipe off any excess salt and remove the herbs.
3. Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan and fry the duck breasts, skin side down, until golden. Turn them over, transfer to the oven and cook for 6-8 minutes until pink. Keep warm.
4. For the mash, heat the butter in a frying pan and cook the leeks over a gentle heat until soft. Add the cream and bring to the boil. Add the hot mashed potato and mustard and season to taste. Keep warm.
5. For the sauce, heat the butter in a saucepan, add apples and cook for one minute, add the honey, cook for a further 2 minutes.
6. Finally add the vinegar, cider, stock, raisins and sage, and reduce until lightly thickened.
7. Arrange the leek mash on plates, slice the duck and fan out over the top. Place the apples on the duck, pour over the sauce and serve immediately.
- 4 duck breast, each 180g
- 2 clove garlic, peeled
- 10 g coarse sea salt
- 1 small bay leaf
- 10 small sage leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the leak and mustard mash:
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 1 leek, ashed and roughly chopped
- 200 g mashed potato, freshly prepared
- 90 ml double cream
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
For the sauce: