On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 20:30 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 21:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- Prep time:
- 15 min
- Cook time:
- 45 min
Enjoy a simple, rustic meal with Valentina Harris' tasty recipe for baked rabbit, flavoured with lemon, thyme, garlic and wine
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Put the rabbit, aubergine, red pepper, new potatoes, garlic, onion and courgette into a roasting dish in a single layer.
3. Pour over enough olive oil to make everything shiny and then mix everything thoroughly together with your hands.
4. Sprinkle over the thyme, season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and add in the lemon segments. Mix together again and sprinkle over 50ml of the wine.
5. Roast for about 45 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure everything is not drying out and turning all the vegetables and the rabbit or chicken joints over once to brown evenly. Baste with the remaining wine as necessary.
6. Serve with a green salad and crusty bread to mop up the juices. Can be eaten hot or cold.
- 1 rabbit, (or medium-sized chicken), jointed
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 10 small new potatoes
- 8 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 1 large red onion, cut into segments
- 1 large courgette, cut into chunks
- extra virgin olive oil
- a small bunch of fresh thyme
- sea salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 8
- 100 ml dry white wine
- green salad, to serve
- crusty bread, to serve
Tips and suggestions
- Substitute monkfish for a seafood version of the dish.