On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Roux Masterclass: Alain and Michel Roux Jr - Albert and Alain Roux
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea - Rick Stein's Fruits of the Sea (1): Ep 7
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah - Queen of Cakes
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus at least 1 hr marinating
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Serve up a tasty fish meal with Tonia Buxton's simple recipe for marinated herrings served with lashings of mashed potato
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the herrings in a bowl with the olive oil, lemon juice, coriander, garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
2. Cut the potatoes into large cubes, keeping the skins on.
3. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add in the potatoes. Boil the potatoes until tender, then drain.
4. Add in the butter, milk and nutmeg and mash well.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the grill or a griddle pan.
6. Cook the herrings under the grill or on the griddle allowing 3-4 minutes each side and basting often with the remaining marinade.
7. Serve the griddled herrings on top of the mash, sprinkled with coriander.