On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas - Nigel Slater's 12 Tastes of Christmas
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas - Nigel Slater's Simple Christmas
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best at Christmas
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
- 8 -10
Try this deliciously different, moreishly moist cake from Ed Baines - it's certainly nutty, but definitely nice!!
Method1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper, cutting an extra base shape to use as a cover for the cake later.
2. Place the pistachios and almonds in a food processor and whiz until ground.
3. Whisk the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons of the caster sugar, until the mixture is thick and fluffy.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with the remaining sugar until the mixture forms soft peaks.
5. Place the ground nuts, apricots and vanilla essence into a large bowl. Fold in the egg yolk mixture, followed by the egg whites.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and place into a roasting pan.
7. Fill the roasting pan with enough water to come half way up the sides of the cake tin. Bake for 15 minutes. Lightly moisten the extra layer of baking paper and cover the top of the risen cake. Reduce the oven to 180°C/gas 4 and bake for a further 20 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and turn out on to a serving plate. Cut into slices and serve with cream and/or raspberries.