On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Georgia to Florida
- 21:00 - Jamie Does... - The French Pyrenees
- 22:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Arizona
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Mary Berry's chocolate cake recipe with ganache icing makes an irresistible bake.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Grease and line two 18cm sandwich cake tins.
2. Place the eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Mix together the cocoa powder and boiling water to form a paste. Mix the cocoa paste into the egg mixture.
4. Divide the mixture between the tins, levelling the top.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cakes feel springy to the touch and shrink away from the sides of their tins.
6. Cool in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
7. To make the icing, place the cream and chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Carefully melt in a heat heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water or very gently in the microwave. Set aside to cool slightly.
8. Spread the apricot jam finely and evenly over the top of both chocolate cakes.
9. Use a third of the icing to spread over one of the apricot jam-topped cakes.
10. Sandwich the two cakes together, so that the icing is sandwiched in the middle.
11. Spread the remaining icing over the top of the chocolate cake in a swirl pattern.
12. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
- 3 eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter, softened
- 40 g cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 tbsp boiling water
For the icing:
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 g dark chocolate, (such as Bournville), broken in pieces
- 4 tbsp apricot jam
- icing sugar, for dusting