On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Seafood Odyssey - Suffolk and Naples
- 20:30 - Rick Stein's Seafood Odyssey - India and Cornwall
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fish
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 55 min
- 1 cake and 12 buns
Conjure up two delicious tea-time treats with Mary Berry's recipes for a citrus cake and moreish almond buns
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. First prepare the basic cake mix. Place the eggs, self-raising flour, sugar, butter and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and beat together until smooth.
3. To make the lemon crunchy cake, take half the cake mix and mix in the lemon zest.
4. Turn the lemon mixture into a lined 450g loaf tin and bake for about 35 minutes until golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the tin and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven.
5. While the cake is still warm make the topping. Mix together the sugar and lemon juice and pour over the warm cake while it's still in the tin.
6. Loosen the sides of the cake then carefully lift the cake out of the tin. Cool and serve.
7. To make the almond fruity buns, preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Add the sultanas, apricots and ground almonds to the remaining basic cake mixture and stir until well mixed.
8. Turn into lined 12 hole bun tin, sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake for about 20 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch. Remove and cool on a wired rack.
For the lemon crunchy cake:
For the almond fruity buns:
- 50 g sultanas
- 50 g dried apricots, snipped into small pieces
- 25 g ground almonds
- a few blanched flaked almonds, for the topping