On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Fat Ladies - Timber
- 20:30 - Two Fat Ladies - A Day at the Races
- 21:00 - Paul Hollywood's Bread - Soda Bread
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Boil the potatoes in a large pan of simmering, salted water. When they are just cooked, remove from the heat and cool in cold water. Drain and leave to one side.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a frying pan. Add in the onions and thyme and fry for 3 minutes.
4. Add in the marmite, stock and red wine and cook briskly until reduced by half.
5. Add the corned beef and parsley and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Cook for 5-10 minutes, breaking it up with a fork.
7. Season the diced potatoes and mash them thoroughly with milk and the butter.
8. Place the corned beef mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
9. Mix together the grated cheddar and breadcrumbs.
10. Sprinkle the mixture over the mashed potatoes and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
11. Serve hot from the oven with a dressed green salad.
Like James Martin's recipes? Take a look at James Martin's top 10 recipes
- 25 g butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, leaves only
- 1 tsp Marmite
- 350 ml beef stock
- 150 ml red wine
- 375 g corned beef
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
For the topping: