On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Bread
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Spices and Chillies
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Crisp vegetables in light, ginger-spiked batter make a great treat for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike in this fabulous recipe from Ed Baines
Method1. Blanch all the vegetables in boiling water.
2. Whisk two egg yolks in a bowl.
3. Add the ginger, chilli, salt, Chinese five spice, and soy sauce. Stir in the rice flour, and bicarbonate of soda. Slowly add the ice-cold water.
4. Whisk the egg whites until fluffy. Fold them into the batter mixture.
5. Heat the oil in a wok to 180°C. Dip the vegetables in the batter, and drop them into the wok. Cook until the vegetables are golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper, garnish with coriander and lime and serve immediately.
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 4baby leeks, chopped
- 1 spinach leaves
- 3 broccoli florets, ut into horizontal discs
- 2 whole oyster mushrooms
- 2 asparagus
For the ginger batter:
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2.5cm knob fresh ginger, finely chopped
- ½ red chillies, chopped
- pinch of salt
- pinch of chinese five spice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200 ml ice cold water
- 500 ml vegetable oil
- handful of fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut into slices