On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 20:30 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 21:00 - Food and Drink - Jun Tanaka - Street Food
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Thick, warming and topped with tasty cheese croutons, this unusual mint-laced soup from Ed Baines is a real winner
Method1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the garlic, onion and celery for 4-5 minutes. Add the chick peas to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes.
2. Now add the finely chopped mint, stirring well, and then pour over the vegetable stock and tahini. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. To make the croutons, preheat the grill. Slice the baguette at an angle into long thin slices. Lay the slices out on a grill pan and brush all over with olive oil. Gently grill both sides until golden brown.
4. Rub each piece of toasted baguette with the garlic clove. Thinly slice the cheese and place on top. Put under the grill for 1 minute, remove and keep warm.
5. Once the soup is cooked, mash the chick peas roughly with a potato masher. Place back on the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
6. Serve with the croutons, a dollop of hummus and a twist of pepper.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole heads garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 stick celery
- 400 g tinned chickpeas, drained
- small bunch of mint, finely chopped
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tahini
- black pepper
- small pot of hummus, to serve
For the croutons: