On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - What Grows Together
- 20:30 - Nigel Slater's Simple Suppers - Made for Each Other
- 21:00 - New Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - 'Tis the Season to Be Choccy...
- Prep time:
- 40 min, plus 30 mins resting
- Cook time:
- 25 min
For a dessert with a difference try Alan Coxon's creative recipe, combining poached ricotta dumplings with an aromatic fruit salad
- 125 g bread, crusts trimmed and finely diced
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 50 g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 125 g butter, melted
- 6 tbsp double cream
- 4 eggs
- 100 g flour, sifted
For the mulled fruit salad:
- 60 g sugar
- 60 g butter
- 2 apples
- 2 oranges, peeled and cut in half
- 2 satsumas, peeled and cut in half
- 1 pear, peeled, cored and divided into 6
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and divided into 6
- 60 g icing sugar
- 600 ml red wine
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemons
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 2 tbsp brandy
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. In a mixing bowl, mix together the bread and ricotta.
2. Add in the sugar, salt and melted butter, mixing well.
3. Stir in the cream and break in the eggs, then mix together.
4. Fold in the flour and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
5. While the dough is resting prepare the mulled fruit salad.
6. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
7. Heat the sugar and butter together in an ovenproof casserole until the sugar has melted and the mixture is nearly amber in colour.
8. Dust the apple, orange, satsuma, pear and pineapple thoroughly in the icing sugar.
9. Add the fruit to the pan with the butter mixture and let them colour slightly.
10. Add in the red wine, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, cloves and brandy.
11. Transfer the fruit salad to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
12. Meanwhile, shape the dough into around 20 small dumplings.
13. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Lower the dumplings into the water. Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 12-15 minutes. Remove the poached dumplings with a slotted spoon and drain.
14. Spoon the mulled fruit salad into bowls and add in the dumplings. Top each portion with a dollop of crème fraîche, then sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds and a dusting of icing sugar.