On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 1
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011
- 22:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - The Big Freeze
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
Serve up a stylish British version of a breakfast treat with Paul Heathcote's luxurious recipe for filled hash browns
Method1. Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add in the potatoes in their skins and parboil for 10 minutes. Drain and peel.
2. Grate the peeled potatoes into a bowl and mix in the chives and parsley. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. Pat out four circles from the potato mixture, making sure that they are larger than the black pudding slices.
4. Place a slice of black pudding and a portion of the Lancashire cheese in the centre of each potato circle. Fold the potato circle over the filling and pat again into a circle.
5. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or deep fat-fryer until hot.
6. Add in the potato hash browns and fry until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm.
7. Meanwhile, heat the clarified butter in a small heavy-based frying pan and fry the apple slices until golden, adding a pinch of sugar towards the end. Keep warm until serving.
8. To make the choron sauce, whisk the egg yolks in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until lightly cooked.
9. Whisk in the tomato puree, then gradually add in the clarified butter, whisking constantly.
10. Whisk in the warm water, lemon juice, tarragon and chervil and season with salt.
11. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a dash of water.
12. Serve the hash brownies with poached eggs, fried apple and the choron sauce.
- 450 g Maris Piper potatoes
- 1 tsp chives, chopped
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices of good black pudding
- 100 g lancashire cheese, crumbled
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 20 g clarified butter, (ghee)
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- pinch of sugar
- poached eggs, to serve
For the choron sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 250 g clarified butter, (ghee)
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- good sprig of tarragon, finely shredded
- small bunch of chervil, finely chopped