On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 1
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking: Xmas 2011
- 22:00 - Nigella's Christmas Kitchen - The Big Freeze
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 20 min
For a contemporary version of a British classic, try Paul Hollywood's puff pastry pasties filled with spiced lamb
Method1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add in the onion and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add in the minced lamb, mixing well, and fry until browned, stirring often.
4. Add in the cumin seeds and the beef stock and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add the coriander and the petit pois and cook for a further minute.
5. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside to cool.
6. Roll out the puff pastry to 5mm thickness. Using an 18cm circular cutter, cut out pastry circles.
7. To make each pasty, place 2 heaped tablespoons of the mince mixture into the middle of a pastry circle and fold over to form a moon shape.
8. Crimp down the edges and brush with beaten egg. Gently score the top of the pasty with the back of a knife.
9. Repeat the process until all the pastry circles have been filled.
10. Place the pastries on greased baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown.
11. Serve with roasted red and yellow peppers, roasted aubergine and a dollop of sour cream.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 350 g minced lamb
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp beef stock
- 1 handful of coriander, chopped
- 150 g petit pois, cooked
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 500 g puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten