On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers Come Home - Hairy Bikers Come Home
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Salem
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus 30 mins chilling, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Fresh lemon zest and juice add a delicious citrus fragrance to Simon Rimmer's luxurious lemon tart
Method1. First make the pastry. Place the flour, salt and butter in a food processor. Pulse blend the mixture until it resembles crumbs.
2. Add in the icing sugar and egg yolks and pulse until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
3. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
5. Roll out the pastry finely and use it to line a large tart case. Prick the base of the pastry, line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
6. Blind bake the tart case for 10 minutes until pale gold.
7. Remove from the oven and discard the baking parchment and baking beans.
8. Brush the pastry case with beaten egg.
9. Return the pastry case to the oven and bake for a further 5 minutes.
10. Remove and cool.
11. To make the filling, place the lemon zest and juice, sugar, eggs and yolks in a heavy-based saucepan.
12. Cook the filling, whisking constantly, over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved.
13. Add in 150g of butter and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture coats the back of a spoon.
14. Add in the remaining butter and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture becomes very thick.
15. Remove from direct heat and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
16. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
17. Pour the mixture into the pastry case.
18. Bake the lemon tart on the middle shelf until set, around 8 minutes.