On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 1
- 20:30 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 2
- 21:00 - The Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking with Rachel Khoo - Little Paris Kitchen: Cooking With Rachel Khoo, 3
- Prep time:
- 1 hr, plus several hrs chilling
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 20 min
Serve this decadent tart for afternoon tea, a perfect combination of Bramley apples and sweet nutty frangipane from the Tanner Brothers
Method1. First make the pastry. In a bowl, rub the butter into the flour until well incorporated.
2. In another bowl, whisk the eggs together.
3. Sieve the sugar into the butter and flour mix and add the salt. Then add the eggs and mix thoroughly until a dough is formed. You can do this by hand or in a food processor.
4. Roll out the pastry, wrap in cling film and chill for several hours.
5. Next make the frangipani. Cream the butter using an electric whisk then beat in the sugar, ground almonds and flour. Add the eggs one by one followed by the rum if using. This mixture can be stored in the fridge for 4 to 5 days but remember to remove from the fridge 30 minutes before using.
6. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
7. To make the purée, peel and chop the apples then place in a large pan with the butter, sugar and lemon. Cover the apples with the water and cook on the hob for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. To assemble the tart, remove the pastry from the fridge, roll out to about 4½mm thick and use to line a pastry case.
9. Fill with baking beans and bake the pastry blind in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
10. Once cooked, remove from the oven and place a layer of the apple purée in the case. Put the frangipani mixture into a piping bag and starting from the centre, pipe the mixture so it completely covers the top of the tart. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and bake in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
11. Serve with clotted cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- 250 g plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- pinch of salt
- 100 g icing sugar
- 125 g blanched flaked almonds
For the frangipani mix:
- 125 g unsalted butter, softened
- 125 g icing sugar
- 125 g ground almonds
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 1/2 medium eggs
- 20 ml rum essence, (optional)
For the Bramley apple purée:
- clotted cream
- vanilla ice cream
Tips and suggestions
The pastry makes approximately 500g.