On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 30 min
For poultry with pizzazz, try Nancy Lam's tempting spiced turkey served with tasty roast vegetables
Method1. Place all the ingredients for the spicy paste into a blender and whiz until smooth.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a moderate heat and fry the paste until aromatic. Leave to cool.
3. Set the oven to 210°C/gas 7. Put the turkey on a rack and set the rack in a large roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with water - this will help to keep the turkey moist.
4. Rub the turkey inside and out with the paste and place in the oven. Roast for 2 hours and 30 minutes, making sure the water underneath does not dry out. In the meantime, roast the vegetables. Cut the sweet potato, parsnip, and yam in to chunks and cook for 10 minutes in a large pan of boiling salted water. Drain.
5. Slice the onion and spilt the garlic, keeping the skin on. Put the aubergine, peppers, sweet potato, parsnip and yam into a roasting pan, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add a dash of balsamic vinegar and sprinkle the remaining spices over.
6. Drizzle with the olive oil and roast until golden brown. The vegetables will cook during the time the turkey is in the oven.
7. To make the sauce, pour the coconut milk into the roasting pan that now contains the juices from the roasting turkey, and mix well.
8. Carve the turkey and serve immediately, with the roasted spicy vegetables and coconut sauce.
- 2-3kg turkey
- 100 ml coconut milk
For the spicy paste:
- 10 clove garlic
- 10 shallots
- bunch of coriander roots
- 6cm piece galangal
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 12cm piece fresh turmeric root
- 6 candlenuts, or macadamia nuts
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 5 red chillies
- 1 tbsp salt
For the roasted vegetables:
- 1 large sweet potatoes
- 1 parsnip
- 1 small yam
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 aubergine
- 1 green pepper, cut into 6 slices
- 1 orange pepper, cut into 6 slices
- 1 red pepper, cut into 6 slices
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander
Tips and suggestions
- Nancy loves this recipe because it lends its self to all sorts of different meats. You could use chicken, lamb, beef or veal.