On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 2
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas - Choccywoccydoodah Christmas
- 22:00 - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas - Rick Stein's Cornish Christmas
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 5 min
For a luxurious twist on a traditional dish try Rick Stein's speedy, flavourful starter combining wild mushrooms with devilled kidneys
Method1. Toast the slices of bread over a naked gas flame until nicely singed on either side and set aside.
2. Leave the mushrooms whole, or cut them into halves or quarters, depending on their size.
3. Cut the kidneys in half lengthways and snip out the cores with scissors.
4. Mix together the flour, cayenne pepper, mustard powder, ½ tsp of salt and freshly ground black pepper in a bowl. Add in the trimmed kidneys and toss well.
5. Heat 20g of butter in a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the kidneys, leaving behind any excess flour, and cook for 1½ minutes on each side until lightly browned on the outside but still pink and juicy in the centre. Lift onto a plate and keep warm.
6. Add the rest of the salted butter to the pan and as soon as it is foaming add the mushrooms and increase the heat to high. Season them with salt and freshly ground pepper and fry briskly for a couple of minutes.
7. Return the kidneys to the pan, add half the chopped parsley and toss together briefly. Remove the pan from the heat.
8. Spread each slice of toast with the unsalted butter. Put one piece of toast each on two serving plates and spoon the mushrooms and kidneys on top. Sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley and serve the remaining toast separately.
- 4 slices of sourdough bread, or a similar rustic white bread
- 175 g wild mushrooms, (pieds de mouton, pied bleu, girolles), cleaned
- 3 lamb's kidneys
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 40 g salted butter
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 25 g unsalted butter