Pil-pil de cangrejo (chilli crab)
From: Good Food Bites
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 2 hrs freezing for live crab)
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Conjure up a little Latin magic with Elizabeth Luard`s crab in lovely kick-ass, cook-me-quick chilli sauce
Tips and suggestions
- Cooks Tips...
- In accordance with RSPCA guidelines and the recommendation of the University Federation of Animal Welfare, the most humane way to dispatch a live crab is to put it into the freezer at -20°C for at least two hours before cooking.
When it's time to cook the crab, bring copious amounts of very heavily salted water to the boil, remove the crab from the freezer and drop it into the pan. Return the water to the boil and cook as above.
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Place the crab into the freezer for at least 2 hours before cooking. Bring a large pan of very heavily salted water to the boil, remove the crab from the freezer and drop it into the pan. Return the water to the boil. Cook for 25 minutes.
2. Pick all the meat out of the shell and claws: the only non-edible bits are the mouthpiece and the feathery grey gills, the 'dead man's fingers'.
3. Heat the oil in a shallow saucepan until faint blue haze rises. Add the garlic and chillies and fry for a moment. Stir in the crabmeat and the brandy. Allow all to bubble up fiercely to evaporate the alcohol. That's all!!