On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Bread
- 20:30 - Raymond Blanc's Kitchen Secrets - Spices and Chillies
- 21:00 - The Great Comic Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Comic Relief Bake Off
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 2 hrs freezing for live crab)
- Cook time:
- 25 min
Conjure up a little Latin magic with Elizabeth Luard`s crab in lovely kick-ass, cook-me-quick chilli sauce
Method1. Place the crab into the freezer for at least 2 hours before cooking. Bring a large pan of very heavily salted water to the boil, remove the crab from the freezer and drop it into the pan. Return the water to the boil. Cook for 25 minutes.
2. Pick all the meat out of the shell and claws: the only non-edible bits are the mouthpiece and the feathery grey gills, the 'dead man's fingers'.
3. Heat the oil in a shallow saucepan until faint blue haze rises. Add the garlic and chillies and fry for a moment. Stir in the crabmeat and the brandy. Allow all to bubble up fiercely to evaporate the alcohol. That's all!!
- 1 large live crab, weighing 1kg(to yield 450g crab meat)
- 4 clove garlic, slivered
- 1 tsp small dried chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 150 ml olive oil
- 125 glass ml brandy
Tips and suggestions
- In accordance with RSPCA guidelines and the recommendation of the University Federation of Animal Welfare, the most humane way to dispatch a live crab is to put it into the freezer at -20°C for at least two hours before cooking.
When it's time to cook the crab, bring copious amounts of very heavily salted water to the boil, remove the crab from the freezer and drop it into the pan. Return the water to the boil and cook as above.