On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 20:30 - The View from River Cottage - The View From River Cottage
- 21:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Tuck into David Massey's spiced-up version of a traditional British dish, perfect comfort food for a cold winter's day
Method1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add in the onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, chilli, fennel seeds and cumin, mixing well. Fry gently until the onion has softened.
2. Add in the minced lamb and mushrooms, mixing well, and fry until the meat has browned on all sides, spooning off any excess fat and liquid.
3. Mix in the flour and cook briefly. Add in the tomato puree, Tabasco sauce and Worcestershire sauce, mixing well.
4. Mix in the stock, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes, stirring now and then, until the sauce has thickened.
5. Remove the thyme and bay leaf. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and place in an ovenproof dish.
6. Meanwhile boil the potatoes in salted water until cooked. Drain and mash the potatoes. Add butter and cream and pass through a potato ricer.
7. Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas 5.
8. Spread the mashed potato in an even layer over the top of the mince. Sprinkle over the grated cheddar.
9. Bake for 20 minutes until the cheese has melted and is golden brown. Serve hot from the oven with winter vegetables.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- sprig of thyme
- 450 g minced lamb
- 55 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 25 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- splash of tabasco
- splash of Worcestershire sauce
- 300 ml lamb stock
- black pepper
- 675 g potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp cream
- 75 g mature cheddar cheese
- winter vegetables, to serve