On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - John Torode's Australia - Queensland Part I
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 22:00 - The River Cottage Treatment - The River Cottage Treatment
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus overnight chilling and freezing
- Cook time:
- 10 min
Impress your guests with Simon Rimmer's recipe for a truly splendid dessert, a rich concoction of chestnuts, eggs and cream
Method1. Pound the chestnuts then mix in 2 tablespoons of the vanilla sugar syrup.
2. Press the chestnuts through a sieve into a large, heatproof bowl, then mix with the remaining syrup.
3. Add in the double cream and egg yolks.
4. Suspend the bowl over a pan of simmering water over a gentle heat and heat through, stirring constantly. Remove from direct heat just as the mixture begins to boil.
5. Pass the mixture through a sieve again and set aside to cool.
6. Once cool mix in the Maraschino brandy, cool and refrigerate overnight.
7. Meanwhile, place the lemon peel, currants and raisins in a bowl. Add in enough Maraschino brandy to just cover the mixture and set aside to marinate for at least 8 hours.
8. Add the marinated fruit to the chilled chestnut mixture.
9. Whip the cream until fluffy. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
10. Fold the whipped cream and beaten egg white into the chestnut mixture.
11. Pour into a mould and put in the freezer until set.
12. Carefully turn out from the mould on to a serving plate. Decorate with candied peel and whipped cream and serve.
- 40 chestnuts, blanched and peeled
- 575 ml vanilla sugar syrup, made with equal quantities of water and sugar with a vanilla pod
- 575 ml double cream
- 12 egg yolks
- 100 ml Maraschino brandy, plus extra for marinating
- 25 g candied lemon peel, finely chopped
- 55 g currants
- 55 g raisins
- 300 ml double or whipping cream
- 3 egg whites
- chopped candied lemon peel
- whipped cream
Tips and suggestions
- This recipe contains raw eggs. Raw or lightly cooked eggs should not be served to young children, elderly people, invalids or pregnant women because of the risk of salmonella.