On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Joy of Curry - Joy Of Curry (1): Ep 1
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Sunday Dinners
- 22:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meaty Milestone
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling plums
- Cook time:
- 1 hr
Simon Rimmer's little batter puddings with juicy plums and whipped cream make an excellent autumn dessert
For the plum compôte:
- 800 g stoned plums
- 2 vanilla pods
- 200 g caster sugar
For the budinos:
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Grease eight ramekins with butter. Sprinkle some sugar into the ramekins, coating the sides and the base of the ramekins. Tip out the excess.
2. Put the stoned plums, 200g of caster sugar and the vanilla pods in a saucepan and set over a low heat. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring, until the plums have disintegrated. Set aside and cool completely.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
4. In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg yolks with 100g of sugar for 3-5 minutes until pale and fluffy.
5. Melt the 100g of butter in a saucepan and beat into the egg and sugar mixture. Then beat in the milk.
6. Combine the semolina, flour and salt in a bowl. Carefully fold into the egg and sugar mixture. Fold in a third of the cooked plums and mix well.
7. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining 30g of sugar. Using a large metal spoon, fold the egg whites into the batter.
8. Divide the mixture between the ramekins. Place in a roasting pan and add enough hot water to come one-third of the way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover with kitchen foil and bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
10. Remove the budini from the oven. Run the tip of a knife around the edge of the ramekins and turn out into serving dishes.
11. Spoon plum compôte on top of the budini and serve with lightly whipped cream.