On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Istanbul
- 20:30 - Rachel Khoo's Kitchen Notebook: Cosmopolitan Cook - Amalfi Coast
- 21:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 45 min
Enjoy a hearty warming dish with James Martin's simple and tasty recipe for a traditional beef goulash
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a casserole dish or heavy-based saucepan.
3. Sprinkle the steak with the flour and brown well, in batches, in the hot casserole dish. Set the browned meat aside.
4. Add in the remaining olive oil. Add in the onion, garlic, green pepper and red pepper to the casserole dish and fry until softened, around 5 minutes.
5. Return the beef to the pan with the tomato puree and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
6. Add in the tomatoes, white wine and beef stock. Cover and bake in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes. Alternatively, cover and cook it on the hob on a gentle heat for about an hour, removing the lid after 45 minutes.
7. Sprinkle over the parsley and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the soured cream and serve.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 700 g stewing steak, cut into chunks
- 30 g plain flour
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 75 ml dry white wine
- 300 ml beef stock, home-made or shop-bought
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- black pepper
- 150 ml soured cream