On TV Tomorrow
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Piedmont
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Feast
- 22:00 - MasterChef: The Final Three - MasterChef
- Prep time:
- 20 min, plus cooling time
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 20 min
You've heard of carrot cake - now experience the sweet spiciness parsnips bring to old-fashioned British baking
Method1. Grease a square cake tin by brushing it lightly with neutrally-flavoured oil. Line it with baking parchment, then oil lightly again. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
2. Peel and trim the parsnips, then coarsely grate enough to give 250g of grated vegetable. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together, then add the oil, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla extract and grated parsnips. Stir to combine and set aside.
4. Sift the self-raising flour, cinnamon and salt into a second large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, then pour in the parsnip mixture. Add the chopped walnut pieces and stir just enough to combine the ingredients and make a stiff batter.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin, spreading it out fairly evenly into the corners. Bake for 1 hour - 1 hour 20 minutes or until the cake is well risen, the top is firm and brown, and a metal skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes in the tin before lifting it out to a wire rack to cool completely. Dredge with icing sugar before serving.