On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Food and Drink - Angela Harnett - Italian Food
- 20:30 - Food and Drink - Rachel Khoo - Entertaining
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Bread
- Prep time:
- 40 min
- Cook time:
- 35 min
Lotte Duncan's scrumptious pasties, stuffed with pumpkin, Cheddar and crunchy seeds, are perfect for bonfire night or the lunchbox
Method1. Put the pumpkin in a steamer basket set over a pan of boiling water. Steam for 3-5 minutes until tender but not disintegrating. Set aside on a plate to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking parchment.
3. In a bowl, mix together the onion, garlic and grated cheese. Stir in the seeds, sage and crème fraîche, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Roll out the pastry and cut it into 4 x 20cm circles, using a plate as a template.
5. Place a spoonful of filling in the centre of each circle. Brush the edges with beaten egg. Fold the pastry over to make a semi-circle and seal the edges well. Crimp with a fork or your fingers. Brush the outside of the pasties with beaten egg.
6. Place on the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Serve warm, with a green salad if liked.
- 225 g peeled pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 50 g strong cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- 2 tsp chopped sage
- 1½ tbsp crème fraîche
- 225 g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 large egg, beaten
- green salad, to serve (optional)
Tips and suggestions
- When crimping the edges of the pasties, dip the fork or your fingers in flour first to prevent them sticking to the pastry.