On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Arizona
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Boston
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Massachusetts
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Go ahead, indulge in a deliciously decadent treat with Paul Young's simple recipe for a rich and scrumptious chocolate cake
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. Melt the chocolate in a microwave on a low heat or in a bowl over a pan of simmering water until smooth. Set aside to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and 100g of caster sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, one by one, mixing well with each addition.
4. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Add in the remaining sugar and whisk again until thick and glossy.
5. Pour the chocolate into the creamed butter mixture and mix in well.
6. Using a metal spoon fold in the whisked egg whites and the cornflour in two batches.
7. Transfer the cake mixture to a greased lined 20cm cake tin.
8. Bake for 40 minutes until the cake is set and cooked through.
9. Remove from oven and cool in the tin for 15 minutes then invert onto a serving plate. Allow to cool.
10. To make the chocolate coating, bring the double cream to the boil in a pan. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour over the double cream, mixing together well. Mix in the butter and spread the chocolate coating over the cake using a palette knife or spoon. Allow to cool, then serve.
- 150 g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 250 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 100 g cornflour
For the chocolate coating:
- 200 ml double cream
- 200 g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 25 g butter
Tips and suggestions
Add grated orange zest, chopped mint, chopped nuts or kirsch-marinated cherries for a delicious alternative.
Once covered in the chocolate coating, decorate to taste with chocolate shavings, toasted coconut shavings, your favourite childhood sweets for a trendy kitsch feel or piped melted white and dark chocolate, for a professional finish.