On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 3
- 20:30 - What to Eat Now: Summer - What To Eat Now: Summer, 4
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best - Simple Suppers
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
For a luxurious soup try Paul Bloxham's sophisticated recipe, flavoured with fresh herbs and enriched with cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 stick celery
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 kg tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped, juice reserved
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato purée
- 1 tbsp leaves basil
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- black pepper
- 100 ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- handful of stalks basil
- 100 ml double cream
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. In a large, heavy-based saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook, stirring frequently, until softened - around 3-5 minutes.
3. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes, without letting it colour.
4. Tip in the tomatoes along with their juice, and add the stock, sun-dried tomato puree, basil, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. In a separate small saucepan heat together the vinegar, sugar and basil stalks and cook briskly until reduced by half. Strain and reserve.
6. In a food processor or blender, puree the tomato soup until smooth. Return to the pan and reheat. Stir in the double cream.
7. Add enough of the vinegar reduction to sharpen.
8. Serve with a swirl of cream.