On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - New York
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 3
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 12
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Enjoy a tea-time treat with Paul Young's classic sponge, complete with a number of delicious ways to serve it
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl. Add in the sugar.
3. Using a hand-held whisk or electric beater, whisk the mixture until it triples in volume and becomes thick, white and fluffy.
4. Using a metal spoon, fold in the flour very carefully and then mix in the vanilla extract and melted butter.
5. Pour the mixture into a 20cm greased, lined cake tin.
6. Bake the cake for 30 minutes until risen, golden and set.
7. Remove the cake from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Tips and suggestions
- Chocolate Tart with Chocolate Sorbet
- To make a frozen dessert, refrigerate the cake for 1 hour. Slice into 3 layers horizontally. Beat ice cream until softened. Spread the softened ice cream over the cake layers and stack them on top of each other. Drizzle the cake with a coffee or orange liqueur and freeze for 1 hour. Serve in slices with warmed cream laced with alcohol.