On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Secret Meat Business - English
- 20:30 - Secret Meat Business - Malaysian
- 21:00 - Secret Meat Business - Italian
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
Tony Tobin combines onion, garlic, chives, spring onions and shallots transforming onion soup into a luxurious dish
Method1. Heat the butter in a large heavy-based saucepan. Add in the onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and fry very gently, stirring now and then, until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add in the potato and chicken stock, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Mix in the spring onions and simmer briefly.
3. Transfer the soup to a food processor and liquidise until smooth.
4. Return to the pan and gently reheat. Stir in 200ml of the double cream and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Whip the remaining double cream with a little salt and fold in the chives.
6. Heat the vegetable oil in a small frying pan. Add in the shallots and fry until crispy.
7. Serve the soup in warm bowls, garnishing each serving with a spoonful of chives and cream floating in the centre and a sprinkling of crispy fried shallots.
- 30 g butter
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Pinch of thyme, leaves only
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium potato, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 litres chicken stock
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 400 ml double cream
- black pepper