On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Cornwall
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Oxfordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - East Sussex
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
Serve up a simple but stylish meal with Bill Granger's Mediterranean-inspired recipe for a savoury tart with tomato salad
Method1. Place the olive oil and onion in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft and caramelised. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
4. Roll out the pastry to a 20 x 40 cm rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Trim the edges with a sharp knife and place on a lined baking sheet.
5. Score a 1cm border around the edge of the pastry, taking care not to cut all the way through to the bottom. Prick the pastry with a fork and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese within the scored edges.
6. Place the onion on top of the pastry base. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
7. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with feta cheese and oregano leaves.
8. To make the tomato, basil and olive salad, cut each tomato vertically into four slices, keeping the shape of the tomato intact.
9. Arrange the tomatoes on a platter, then top with the basil leaves and olives. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper, then allow to rest for 5 minutes so the flavours can develop before serving.
10. Serve the warm tart with the tomato salad.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg onions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 375 g puff pastry
- 25 g parmesan, finely grated
- 150 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp oregano
For the tomato, basil and olive salad:
- 6 vine-ripened tomatoes
- 30 g leaves basil
- 24 Niçoise olives
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar