On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Hairy Bikers' Bakeation - Low Countries
- 21:00 - Nigel Slater's Simple Cooking - Sugar and Spice
- 21:30 - Heston Blumenthal: In Search Of Perfection - Baked Alaska
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 30 min
Stephane Gassot's moist and moreish stuffing guarantees success on a spit in this mouth-watering chicken recipe. It's great when roasting too!
Method1. Mix the chopped onions, livers, bacon lardons and half of the herbs together.
2. Push the stuffing into the cavity of the chicken and secure the open ends using a trussing needle and kitchen string.
3. Carefully push the chicken onto a long metal skewer and spit-roast over open coals for about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Alternatively, set the oven to 200°C/gas 6; transfer the chicken to a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
4. Mix the olive oil and remaining herbs together and baste the chicken with this while turning the spit regularly. If you are using the oven method, simply pour the marinade over the chicken as it goes into the oven.
5. Serve the chicken hot, with the delicious cooking juices poured over.