On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The Heart of England
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - British Waterways
- 22:00 - River Cottage Veg - Summer Pleasures
- Prep time:
- 2 hrs, including cooking the meat
- Cook time:
- 2 hrs 30 min
Tender beef and salty oysters in a scrumptious oozy-boozy sauce make this crisp pastry-topped pie a sure-fire success!
Method1. Heat the oil in large casserole dish and fry the beef over a medium heat until browned all over. Remove the beef and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in the pan and add the shallots. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the bacon, thyme and onions and cook for 3-4 minutes more. Remove and set aside. Add the Guinness to the pan and stir in the cooked bacon and onion mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the meat.
4. Stir in the garlic, red wine and Madeira. Cover and cook slowly for 1 hour 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the oysters.
5. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Roll the pastry out to cover the top of the casserole dish and crimp the edges neatly. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is risen and golden. Serve immediately.
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g stewing steak, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 5 whole shallots
- 200 g smoked lardons of bacon
- thyme, for seasoning
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 900 ml Guinness
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 200 ml red wine
- 200 ml madeira
- 8 oysters
- 375 g ready-to-roll puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten