On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Great Britain - The Heart of England
- 21:00 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- 21:30 - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up - Jamie's Summer Food Rave Up
- Prep time:
- 5 min
- Cook time:
- 40 min
- Makes 4 jars
Janet Brinkworth's gooseberry jam is easy to make and delicious with bread or toast
Method1. Put the gooseberries in a preserving pan or a very large saucepan. Heat gently and simmer for about thirty minutes, until the gooseberries are really softened and reduced.
2. Pulp the fruit with a wooden spoon, or a potato masher.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the preserving sugar, stirring until dissolved.
4. Add the butter and stir in until melted.
5. Return the jam to the heat, bring to the boil and boil steadily for 10 minutes, skimming the jam as it boils.
6. To test if the jam is ready, place a spoonful on a plate and allow it to cool slightly. Drag a spoon across the jam and if it leaves a line the jam is ready.
7. Put the jam in warm, sterilized jars. Allow to cool, then cover.