On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Oxfordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - East Sussex
- Prep time:
- 15 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- Makes about 36 pieces
Vanilla-scented home-made fudge from James Martin - an irresistible treat and easy to prepare! See our tips on how to make the perfect fudge
Method1. Grease an 18cm square cake tin.
2. Put the milk, sugar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring all the time, until the sugar has dissolved and the butter melted.
3. Bring to the boil and boil for 15-20 minutes, stirring all the time.
4. When the mixture reaches the soft-ball stage (115°C on a sugar thermometer), remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Beat the mixture with a spoon for a few minutes until it starts to thicken and the gloss disappears.
6. Pour into the prepared tin and leave to set at room temperature (do not put it in the fridge).
7. Once set, cut the fudge into small squares and store in a sealed container.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out our best ever fudge recipes.
And for chocolate fiends, try our top 10 chocolate fudge recipes.