On TV Tomorrow
- 21:00 - MasterChef - MasterChef
- 22:00 - River Cottage Road Trip - River Cottage Road Trip
- 23:00 - Rick Stein's Memoirs of a Seafood Chef - Rick Stein's Memoirs of A Seafood Chef
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 5 min
An A-list dish from Pascal Proyart, served with home-made pickled ginger and a mango and papaya salad
Method1. First make the pickled ginger. Place the sliced fresh ginger root in a bowl. Pour over cold water, leave for 1 minute, then drain. Repeat this process two more times.
2. In a saucepan bring the rice wine vinegar and sugar to the boil. Add the ginger root. Bring to the boil, remove the pan from direct heat and allow to ginger to cool in the syrup.
3. To make the wasabi-lime dressing, mix together the wasabi paste, lime juice, lemon juice, fish sauce, crushed coriander seeds, fresh chopped coriander, shallots and freeze-dried lime leaves in a bowl.
4. Whisk in the olive, hazelnut and grapeseed oils, tasting to check the dressing which should be quite sharp with a noticeable kick.
5. Place the salmon in a shallow dish. Pour over half of the wasabi-lime dressing, rubbing it well into the salmon. Season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper. Set aside to marinate.
6. Make the mango and papaya salad. In a bowl gently mix together the mango, papaya, mango powder, mint and lime juice.
7. To serve, arrange the salmon carpaccio on four serving plates. Top each portion with a little crown of herb salad and arrange the mango and papaya salad around the salmon. Finish by adding a few slices of the pickled ginger, lime segments and croutons. Drizzle over a little of the remaining dressing and serve.
- 320 g wild salmon fillet, finly sliced
- black pepper
For the mango and papaya salad:
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 papaya, diced
- pinch of dried mango powder
- small handful of mint leaves, chopped
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
For the pickled ginger:
For the wasabi-lime dressing:
- 1 tbsp wasabi
- juice of 1 limes
- juice of 1 lemons
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 3 freeze-dried lime leaves, chopped
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 4 handfuls of herb salad
- 2 limes, cut into segments
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp croutons