On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat with the Most
- 20:30 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Delicious and Historical
- 21:00 - Man v. Food: The Carnivore Chronicles - Meat is Still Awesome
- Prep time:
- 35 min, plus soaking
- Cook time:
- 40 min
From Tamasin Day Lewis, a grownup version of a favourite childhood pudding - deliciously creamy, soft and eggy
Method1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 4.
2. Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod with the tip of a knife. Add these to the pan along with the scraped pod. Bring almost to the boil, then remove from the heat.
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together thoroughly in a large bowl, Then pour in the milk and cream mixture (remove the vanilla pod first), and whisk a bit more.
4. Melt the butter gently, then brush it over the brioche slices, placing them in a buttered pudding dish as you go, and sprinkling with the sultanas.
5. Strain the milk and egg mixture over the top.
6. Place the dish in a roasting pan. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for 30 minutes, or until just set and not over-browned. Remove from the oven.
7. Put the jam in a saucepan with the teaspoon of water and melt over gentle heat.
8. Brush generously over the eggy surface of the pudding before serving.