On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Lancashire
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - North Yorkshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Herefordshire
- Prep time:
- 25 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 15 min
For a hearty meal try Kevin Woodford's recipe for a classic Eastern European beef stew flavoured with paprika
Method1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
2. Mix together the paprika and coriander and dust the beef with the mixture.
3. Heat the oil in a casserole. Add the beef, season with salt and fry until browned on all sides.
4. Stir in the onion, garlic, peppercorns, leeks, carrots and celery. Cover the casserole and cook, covered, for 1 minute.
5. Uncover the casserole. Stir in the flour, mixing well, and cook for 30 seconds.
6. Add the tomato puree, hot chilli sauce and red wine, mixing together, and then add the stock.
7. Cook in the oven for 1 hour, until the beef is tender and the sauce has reduced.
8. Stir in the gherkins.
9. Serve the goulash with either mashed potato or small dumplings.
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 350 g silverside beef, cubed
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- black pepper
- 75 g red onions, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 16 black peppercorns, roughly crushed
- 50 g leeks, finely diced
- 75 g carrots, finely diced
- 50 g celery, finely diced
- 20 g flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp hot chilli sauce
- 75 ml red wine
- 850 ml brown stock
- 50 g gherkins, sliced