On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rick Stein's Mediterranean Escapes - Corsica and Sardinia
- 21:00 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Virginia
- 21:30 - James Martin's United Cakes of America - Washington DC and Maryland
- Prep time:
- 50 min
- Cook time:
- 55 min
A magnificent chocolate gâteau from James Martin, filled with whipped cream and luscious black cherries. Perfect for a celebration
Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 30cm diameter deep cake tin. Line a baking tray with cling film.
2. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat well for about 5 minutes until very light and fluffy.
3. Carefully fold in the sifted flour and the cocoa powder.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until springy and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
5. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
6. Drain the cans of cherries in a sieve set over a saucepan. Put the cherries in a bowl. Heat the juice until it comes to the boil.
7. While the juice is heating, put the cornflour in a small bowl and mix with a little water to slacken to a paste. Whisk the paste into the juice when it boils. Strain through a sieve onto the cherries.
8. To make the chocolate shards, mix the Demerara sugar with the peppermint essence. Melt the chocolate and mix with sugar and essence mixture.
9. Using a palette knife, spread the mixture thinly onto the cling film-lined baking try. Put in the fridge to set.
10. Cut the sponge in half horizontally, using a serrated knife.
11. Sandwich the halves together with the whipped cream and half the cherries.
12. Break the chilled chocolate into large shard-like pieces and arrange around the edge of the cake.
13. Arrange the rest of the cherries on top.
- oil, for greasing
- 6 eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 125 g self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
For the filling and topping:
- 1.2 kg tinned cherries, in syrup
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 750 ml double cream, whipped
- good dash of kirsch
For the chocolate shards:
- 3-4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 1 tsp peppermint essence
- 350 g dark chocolate, broken in pieces