On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Two Greedy Italians - Bologna
- 21:00 - Hairy Bikers' Best of British - Beer and Cider
- 22:00 - Donut Showdown - Bejeweled
- Prep time:
- 30 min
- Cook time:
- 3 hrs
- Makes 10 ramekins
A French classic from James Martin - little pots of deliciously cool creamy custard topped with a brittle melted sugar glaze
Method1. Preheat the oven to 120°C/ gas 1/2.
2. Tip the egg yolks into a large bowl. Add the caster sugar and beat until smooth, immediately adding the vanilla pods.
3. Pour in the cream and milk and beat again until thoroughly mixed.
4. Pour the mixture through a sieve set over a measuring jug, to get rid of the vanilla pods.
5. Pour the mixture into 10 ramekins measuring 125ml and bake in a roasting tin half-filled with water for 45 mins to 1 hour, or until just set.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then chill slightly.
7. When ready to serve, sprinkle a layer of demerara sugar over the top of each ramekin. Melt until bubbling using a blow torch or by placing them under a preheated hot grill. Serve at once.
- 7 egg yolks
- 120 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 750 ml double cream
- 250 ml milk
- demerara sugar, for sprinkling