On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Rachel Allen: All Things Sweet - Afternoon Tea
- 20:30 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh & Easy Food - Simple Classics
- 21:00 - River Cottage - River Cottage: Winter's On The Way, 3
- Prep time:
- 30 min, plus cooling and overnight chilling
- Cook time:
- 10 min
A classic British trifle from James Martin - sherry-soaked sponge topped with velvety raspberries, rich custard and whipped cream
Method1. Spread the jam over the sponge cake slices. Place in the bottom of a large glass serving dish or divide evenly between six tall glasses.
2. Pour the sherry over the cake and sprinkle the raspberries evenly over the top.
3. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar until smooth.
4. To make the custard, pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan. Add the split vanilla pod and bring to the boil.
5. Gradually stir the milk into the egg mixture, then pour back into the pan.
6. Set over medium-low heat and stir until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Do not let the mixture boil or it will separate.
7. Pass through a sieve into a jug. Stir in the orange zest and allow to cool.
8. Pour over the sponge and raspberries.
9. Whip the double cream until thick. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe over the custard, or simply spread it with a palette knife and spike it with a fork. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
10. Sprinkle with the toasted flaked almonds just before serving.