On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Fruit
- 21:00 - River Cottage Every Day - Breakfast
- 22:00 - MasterChef Australia - Masterchef Australia
Submitted by: angie_pangie
Submitted by: natty2b
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- makes one 20cm cake
A tea time classic from James Martin, a golden sponge cake filled with strawberry jam and softly whipped cream Top 10 Victoria sponge recipes
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2. Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.
3. Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor, and mix well to a creamy consistency.
4. Slowly beat in the eggs one by one.
5. Fold in the sifted flour.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well-risen, golden brown and springy when pressed.
7. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
8. Spread one cake with strawberry jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Place the other cake on top.