By: From: James Martin: Sweet
On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - York Betty's
- 20:30 - James Martin: Yorkshire's Finest - Whitby Kippers
- 21:00 - Choccywoccydoodah: Starstruck - Things That Go Bump in the Night
Click on the arrows to view more photos
Submitted by: angie_pangie
Submitted by: natty2b
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus cooling
- Cook time:
- 25 min
- makes one 20cm cake
A tea time classic from James Martin, a golden sponge cake filled with strawberry jam and softly whipped cream Top 10 Victoria sponge recipes
- oil, for greasing
- flour, for dusting
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour, sifted
For the filling:
- strawberry jam
- 150 ml double cream, whipped
How does this work?Close
With just one click, all these ingredients will be put into a basket on mySupermarket.co.uk.
You can select the products you need, compare prices and choose the retailer you wish to buy them from. Or you can leave them in your basket and come back later to buy items from other recipes.
One thing is for sure though, you are guaranteed to find the best value.
Method1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2. Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.
3. Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor, and mix well to a creamy consistency.
4. Slowly beat in the eggs one by one.
5. Fold in the sifted flour.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well-risen, golden brown and springy when pressed.
7. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
8. Spread one cake with strawberry jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Place the other cake on top.