On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Cornwall
- 21:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - Oxfordshire
- 22:00 - The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain - East Sussex
- Prep time:
- 25 min, plus cooling time
- Cook time:
- 45 min
For a real treat try Betty Brown's gloriously indulgent dessert, a delicious combination of meringue, lemon curd and whipped cream!
Method1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1. Grease and line a 33 x 23cm Swiss roll tin with baking parchment.
2. Whisk the egg whites until doubled in bulk. Add a tablespoon of sugar and whisk until soft peaks form.
3. Gradually mix in half the remaining caster sugar, whisking until stiff and shiny.
4. Fold in the remaining sugar and cornflour and spread the mixture evenly in the lined Swiss roll tin.
5. Bake for about 45 minutes, remove and cool uncovered.
6. Turn the tin over onto a large sheet of baking parchment, sprinkled liberally with icing sugar. Peel the paper from the meringue base.
7. Whip the cream until soft peaks form and spread evenly over the meringue, followed by the lemon curd.
8. Roll up from the short end forming a Swiss roll. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
- 5 egg whites
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- icing sugar, for sprinkling
- 300 ml double cream
- 4-5 tbsp lemon curd