On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas, 2
- 21:00 - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner - Stuffed: The Great British Christmas Dinner
- 22:00 - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On - Jamie's Christmas with Bells On Ep 1
- Prep time:
- 10 min
- Cook time:
- 1 hr 10 min
Sophie Grigson's creamy, cheese-crusted gratin makes a fabulous vegetarian main course, and a perfect accompaniment to all manner of meats
Method1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ gas Mark 4. Peel and slice the celeriac and drop the slices into a large bowl of water that has been acidulated with lemon juice or vinegar. Blanch them in acidulated boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and run under the cold tap, then dry thoroughly.
2. Butter a 25cm gratin dish. Mix a spoonful of the cream into the flour, to give a smooth paste, and then gradually work in the rest. Stir in the mustard and season with salt and pepper. Spread about one-third of the celeriac in the dish, dot with a little butter and pour over one-third of the cream mixture. Repeat twice more, until the celeriac, butter and cream are all used up.
3. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top. Bake for an hour or so, until the celeriac is completely tender and the top browned. Serve immediately.