On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Jamie's American Road Trip - Los Angeles
- 21:00 - River Cottage: Summer's Here - River Cottage Summer, 1
- 22:00 - MasterChef Ireland - MasterChef Ireland (2), 10
- Prep time:
- 10 min, plus 30 mins chilling
- Cook time:
- 5 min
Sophie Grigson's delightfully crisp, cheesey little biscuits prove that going to seed can sometimes be a delicious thing to do!
Method1. Place the butter, cheese and flour into a food processor and whiz until the mixture forms a smooth dough.
2. Remove the dough from the processor and form it into a long log shape, with a diameter of about 5cm. Wrap the log up tightly in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. When you are ready to cook the biscuits, set the oven to 190°C/gas 5 and line two baking trays with baking parchment. Unwrap the log and cut it into thin slices. For thin, crispy biscuits, slice them as thinly as possible. Lay the biscuits on the baking trays.
4. Make an egg wash by mixing the egg yolk with one tablespoon of water. Brush the egg wash over the biscuits to glaze them. Top the biscuits with some fennel seeds and cayenne, or use any combination of caraway seeds, poppy seeds, cumin seeds, or paprika.
5. Bake for 4-5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the biscuits, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and store in an airtight tin.