On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - Lorraine's Fast, Fresh and Easy Food - Easy Entertaining
- 20:30 - Gok Cooks Chinese - Chinese Classics
- 21:00 - River Cottage Veg Every Day - Feast
- Prep time:
- 50 min
- Cook time:
- 50 min
From Giorgio Locatelli, delicious home-made potato gnocchi in a creamy gorgonzola sauce
Method1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Put the unpeeled potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer briskly for 15-20 minutes until tender, then drain. Peel and cut in quarters. Place on a baking sheet and put it in the oven to dry for about 5 minutes
3. Pass the potatoes through a mouli or coarse sieve set over a large bowl. Quickly stir in the flour and egg, and season with salt. When nicely blended, cover with a clean tea towel to retain the warmth.
4. Take a little of the potato mixture and roll into a long thin sausage. Slice into pieces about 2.5cm long. Using a gnocchi paddle or a fork, roll the gnocchi with your thumb. Roll it the other way to make ridges on the side.
5. Continue until you have used up all the potato mixture. Place the prepared gnocchi on well-floured trays as you work.
6. Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Drop in the gnocchi in batches. Simmer briskly for about 5 minutes until they rise to the surface. Drain gently using a wire scoop, and transfer to a warm serving dish.
7. While the gnocchi are cooking, melt the gorgonzola and butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. When completely melted add the cream and boil for 1 minute.
8. Add the cheese mixture to the gnocchi and gently stir to mix. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve immediately.
- 1 kg floury potatoes, such as King Edwards or Maris Piper, unpeeled
- 330 g flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250 g gorgonzola cheese
- 30 g butter
- 3 tbsp double cream
- black pepper
- chopped chives, to garnish
Tips and suggestions
- To obtain the best gnocchi, prepare them while the potato mixture is still warm.
If you don't want to cook the gnocchi immediately, blanch them in boiling water after step 5, then immediately cool them in iced water. Place on trays and store in the fridge.