On TV Tonight
- 20:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 21:00 - The Great Sport Relief Bake Off - Great British Bake Off Special: The Great Sport Relief Bake Off
- 22:00 - You Gotta Eat Here - The Club, Foo, Tundra & Inn Pub
- Prep time:
- 20 min
- Cook time:
- 30 min
Pat Chapman gives us a delightful starter with his delicious mix of big flavours, tucked inside a tiny bird.
Method1. Mix the spices for the red tandoori paste together with a little water. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the paste for a minute or so.
2. Place the ingredients for the marinade in a non-metallic bowl, mix thoroughly and marinate the quails in the mixture for several hours (overnight if possible).
3. Set the oven to 190°C/gas 5. Remove the quails from the marinade and reserve it. Open out a quail and spread on a chopping board.
4. Mix a small amount of spare marinade into the cold cooked rice to make it a little sticky. Take a handful of rice, squeeze it and gently fold a quail around it. Tuck in the skin flaps and the legs, and gently press the quail into shape.
5. Repeat with the other quails and place them, breast up, on a foil-lined baking tray. Pour any remaining marinade over the quails and cook for 12 minutes.
6. About 3 minutes before taking them out, mix the honey and Worcestershire sauce in a small pan and heat together to make a glaze.
7. Remove the quails from the oven, and pour the glaze carefully over them, ensuring it covers all exposed flesh.
8. Return the quails to the oven for 1-2 minutes to finish off.
9. For the Podina chutney, place all the ingredients into a blender and grind to a fine puree.
10. Serve the Tandoori stuffed quail hot or cold, with a mixed salad and the Podina chutney.
- 4 boned quails, with skin on
- 4-6 tbsp cold cooked rice
For the red Tandoori paste:
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried mango powder
- vegetable oil
For the red Tandoori marinade:
- 150 g plain yogurt
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp prepared red tandoori paste
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the glaze:
- 4 tsp clear honey
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
For the Podina chutney:
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 115 ml coconut milk, (or reconstituted coconut milk powder)
- 1 tbsp bottled mint sauce